Kala is Alone is the title of my NaNoWriMo project this year. I’ll upload new chapters and link them from this page as they get done. Scroll down for the chapters.
Idea and Concept
The original idea for the story comes from the song Call the Ships to Port, by Covenant. The chorus is about lighting fires in order to guide ships back to safety, and that’s where this story begins.
It’s the last day of autumn, and the villagers gather to light the fire to call the fishing boats back. All of the boats come back save one. The missing boat held all of Kala’s remaining family, and with them now gone she’s completely alone.
The story is about how she tries to find her place in the world again.
This is not going to be a nice story. There will be nice parts of course, but ultimately it’s a story about loss and loneliness. It’s about dealing with a cruel fate, about being an outsider, and about getting back on your feet. It’s a serious story.
At least, that’s the plan and the ambition. We’ll see how it turns out in the end. i haven’t written it yet.
- Chapter 1 – Call the Ships to Port
- Chapter 2 – Still Alive
- Chapter 3 – Framed in Blood
- Chapter 4 – A World Not So Beautiful
- Chapter 5 – Take A Picture
- Chapter 6 – Lovely Creature
- Chapter 7 – Something For The Pain
- Chapter 8 – Into the Great Wide Open
- Chapter 9 – What Have I Done to Deserve This
- Chapter 10 – See Me Again
- Chapter 11 – In Your Room
- Chapter 12 – Between Darkness and Wonder
- Chapter 13 – Let Me In
- Chapter 14 – If You Want
- Chapter 15 – Humility
- Chapter 16 – Walking Through the Wonderland
- Chapter 17 – It’s My Party
- Chapter 18 – Your House
- Chapter 19 – Heart It On The Grapevine
- Chapter 20 – Over the Hills and Far Away
To amuse myself – and for no other reason – I’m using song titles for chapter names. It’s a fun distraction to try to come up with a song that fits the story and which also has a title that works.
The songs are as follows:
- Covenant – Call the Ships to Port
- Lisa Myskowski – Still Alive (no, not the one from Portal)
- The 69 Eyes – Framed in Blood
- Ordo Rosarius Equilibrio – A World Not So Beautiful
- Filter – Take A Picture
- Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds – Lovely Creature
- Zeromancer – Something for the Pain