Okay, so I’ve officially started the rewrite of Enar’s Vacation. Turns out I already rewrote it once shortly after I finished the first draft (there’s a folder on my HD named Enar’s Vacation – Rewrite 1) so this will be the second rewrite.
This time it’s going to be a more extensive rewrite though, and I think I have a better idea of what I’m doing this time – or at least of what I want to do.
To begin with, I’ve made a plan. I created a To Do list for this project. It goes like this:
- Sum up every chapter in a few sentences to see what they’re about.
- Review all of the summaries to determine what story arcs are involved.
- Write down all of the different story arcs to identify what they’re really about.
- Decide which story arcs, if any, can be removed.
- Review every scene to see what story arcs are present and how the scene contributes to further the arc (plot, character, setting, theme)
- Remove/redesign scenes as needed.
- Extract conversation outlines from original scenes.
- Create story outline based on new scenes.
- Write the story.
I still haven’t started on the first step just yet, and I probably won’t do that for real until Monday, or maybe tomorrow if I’ve got time to spare. I have a plan though, and that’s a start.